Sunday, April 22, 2007

Better Than Butt Five: Week Three

One of these days I'll start a post not mentioning how I've been a bit busy the past few days, I promise.
But until then:

The Better Than Butt Five: Week Three (Reasons Why ODB Should Be On Any Cover You Make To A Song Ever Edition)

1) Ol' Dirty Bastard-"Cold Blooded" [A Cover of Rick James's "Cold Blooded"]
Let's start with the basics. Nigga Please is rife with odd moments, some more successful than others, but you're not fucking with a Dirty album until he croons something vicious. "Cold Blooded" is a whole lot of that. Fortunately, ODB had the grace of covering a song from a man who didn't necessarilyhave the best voice (R.I.P. Rick James...and Dirt McGirt for that matter), so this cover is much more forgiving than some of the others.

2) George Clinton-"Flashlight (ft. Q-Tip, Busta Rhymes & Ol' Dirty Bastard)" [A Cover of Parliament's "Flashlight"]
Back in the day when the thought of seeing any of these three rappers on a track got me geeked, seeing all three of them together with George Clinton was damn near the best thing to ever happen to my life. Times have changed and the only rapper from that line-up that still gets me remotely excited isn't even alive anymore. But as far as this track goes, it came during those glory days before one of them could do more than make up stories about slinging drugs and back when the other one still sounded half-excited to be rapping.

3) Ol' Dirty Bastard- "ODB, Don't Go Breakin' My Heart (ft. Macy Gray)" [A Cover of Elton John & Kiki Dee's "Don't Go Breaking My Heart"]
There are certain songs where I don't need to say a damn thing because the title speaks for itself: this is one of them.

4). Ol' Dirty Bastard-"Sussudio" [A Cover of Phil Collins's "Sussudio"...sort of]
This is another one.

5)Mark Ronson-"Toxic (ft. Ol' Dirty Bastard & Tiggers)" [A Cover of Britney Spears's "Toxic"]
I think I really love this song, but I'm not sure. Ronson comes through with those swanky horns he's been big on lately with Amy Winehouse. Tiggers, who I've never heard of before, does a good job with giving the song a new interpretation than the previous pop version. Sure the Ol' Dirty verses, which some of you may recognize from the version of "Lift Ya Skirt" without Missy Elliott on it, have been used before, though perhaps not on anything that isn't bootleg, I'll listen to ODB say "Fuck a pussy 'till it's orange like Ernie and Bert" every day of my life.

Bonus Track: Rhymefest-"Build Me Up (feat. Ol' Dirty Bastard)" [A Cover of The Temptations' "Build Me Up, Buttercup"]
As the track was originally written by 'Fest for ODB, it's only fair that this gets mentioned as well. Sure Mark Ronson's flipped pop songs before for a better performance, but you can't really fault this too much. It's cheesy and campy, yes, but once again, Dirt Dog proves that no one will be able to murder a classic like he does.

And for Eli: No m4a's, I'll go back and fix those Mafia joints too. And umm...Pete Rock and R. Kelly-go!

1 comment:

dallas said...

I wish you had dropped the O.D.B./Lil' Mo cover of 'Good Morning Heartache' so that I don't have to dig around for it.

Good shit and if I ever become pope, O.D.B. will be given sainthood.