Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Featurings Game Round 1: R. Kelly and Pete Rock














Gee, guess which one I'm the bigger fan of.

So, in case you're not up on what the Featurings Game is, here's the original explanation. Anyway, Nazty Fresh gave me one that honestly shouldn't count, since R. Kelly isn't a rapper, but I figured what the hell, let's do it.

Now, the hard part about this one is that these two obviously travel in different spheres, plus according to my own rule it doesn't count if the rapper doesn't actually rap on said song, which rules out alot of artists who Pete Rock has worked with. What I've got helping me out, however, is that both of these guys have been recording for over a decade. So I took the Chocolate Boy Wonder to the Chocolate Factory in three steps (I get the feeling alot of them will be three) but once again this is off the top of my head, 'cause that's more fun for me. It's possible it could be done in two if I seriously researched it, but that's not the point. If anyone else has a better, or interesting, connection, by all means comment.


Step 1: Fat Joe - "Make It Rain (remix)" featuring R. Kelly, Lil' Wayne, Baby, T.I., Ace Mack & Rick Ross
2007

So this is the one I'm putting up today that everyone's heard; a fun posse cut if you're in the mood for that kinda stupid mainstream shit (and I actually don't mean that in a bad way). Can I just say that Kelly's verse is the perfect example of how having a good voice lets him say whatever dumb shit he feels like? "Don't ask me what my name is, stupid bitch I'm famous" shouldn't sound that beautiful.
Just shot a video with R. Kelly, but no homo, though,
Really didn't wanna do it, but I fuck with TS and Fat Joe-Joe, though.
- Lil' Wayne, "Dipset" (otherwise known as "Reppin' Time")


Step 2: Big Pun - "Twinz (Deep Cover '98)" featuring Fat Joe
Capital Punishment, 1998

Proof that 1998 was longer ago than it feels to me: can you imagine a big, video single from a record being a cover of a pre-Chronic Dr. Dre track? (I wonder if the snitch in that video is supposed to look like the Beastie Boys in "Sabotage"?) Anyway, it obviously isn't hard to find a song with Fat Joe and Big Pun on it, but this one is a favorite of mine partly because of the flawless source material, partly because Pun fucking kills it ("Little Italy" is all I'll say), and partly because Joe's voice seems tailor-made to say "yeah, and you don't stop!" Although I wonder why a guy who supposedly speaks Spanish pronounces the "g" in Cartagena like a dirty American. Too bad this song wasn't engineered to take out all of Pun's horrific fat-man-breaths... disgusting, and also tragic in light of his death.


Step 3: Pete Rock - "Verbal Murder 2" featuring Big Pun, Noreaga, & Common
Soul Survivor, 1998

And now you see why I was making the connection by way of a detour through Terror Squad. This is a great track, it flips the same sample from BDP's "Illegal Business" and manages to fit a Common who was sliding towards consciousness into a pretty damn hard song (for some reason the back of the CD listed him as "Common aka Willie Stargell"). Dunno about "pack clips between my nuts and my fat dick" though, that sounds dangerous.

So there you have it, round one is finished. If you enjoyed this, or felt that this idea has the potential to be enjoyable, please leave me a pair to connect in the comments... or just comment. See ya next time, fools.

1 comment:

Prof. Nazty Fresh said...

R. Kelly's a rapper more than some rappers are rappers. I'll say at least that much for him.

But how I forgot about Verbal Murder. Here I was thinking how this would be perfect because neither Soul Survivor had people R. Kelly worked with. How wrong I was.
Well done, I'll post another challenge shortly with real rappers this time.