Saturday, April 7, 2007

Music Is Good
















What, you may ask, is the super secret connection between San Francisco rap legend JT the Bigga Figga and French song and dance man Georges Guetary? Honestly, I just like them both alot, and figured this would be a good way to close out my posting on this first, most illustrious day of the Better Than Butt Sex blog. (You've gotta admit that title is a great way to keep out the "no homo" brigade.) Essentially, both "Game Recognize Game" and "I'll Build a Stairway to Paradise" rank (in my mind) amongst the greatest songs of all time, and repeat listenings have helped me get through all sorts of strange parts of my life, (they've been in heavy rotation this week, often one after the other) so I thought I'd share.

JT the Bigga Figga is, indeed, one of the biggest names in actual San Francisco (as opposed to Oakland, Vallejo, etc.) rap. Consider this song as the first in what I hope will be a bevy of jewels of Bay Area rap that I'll be posting here, although this one's pretty known and I plan to get a good deal more obscure in times to come. (What ya'll know about Little Bruce, Biaje, or Rappin' Ron & Ant Diddley Dog?) I'll see how long I can stay obscure before giving in and posting the "I Got 5 On It" remix... I'd say a month at best.

I don't really know anything about Guetary or the history of this particular George Gershwin song. But I do know that whenever I hear it I picture a man in a tux singing as he walks up giant art deco stairs that light up each time he steps on one, with girls in tux tops, stockings, and high heels dancing around him.

Enjoy.

No comments: