Saturday, April 7, 2007

You're Fuckin' With My Loot When You're Late On Your Child Support





My esteemed colleague Prof. Nazty Fresh (I'mma have to come up with a shorter version of that) already touched on "International Players Anthem" but I felt that it could use a second look, because why not. So first of all, I'm gonna straight-up bite the all-powerful OG of this music blog shit Oliver Wang by putting up all three versions of this most wonderful Willie Hutch masterpiece. (Ok, so I've read that there's also a Cormega song, and a Mathematics song, that use it, but I haven't heard those. Anyone feel free to enlighten me.)

Now, my esteemed colleague didn't seem to think much of Andre's verse on "International Players Anthem" and that is where I must respectfully disagree (altho I co-sign that Pimp C killed it). I definitely see how the gimmick of doing the whole thing without drums can make us like a verse more than it deserves, and can even be emotionally manipulative in this instance (with a swelling Hutch track behind it) but all in all I still feel like Andre captured a certain mood of love shockingly well: that strange sad/happy part of romance that rappers ignore and musicians in most other genres usually try and fail for. Soul music can often capture said mood... and that brings us right back around to Willie Hutch.

A large part of what made the UGK/OutKast song hit me so hard in the first place was really just Hutch's influence anyway. Now, alot of people throughout the internet ('cause, you know, we're the one's whose opinions matter) have been complaining because not only did Three-6 Mafia straight up recycle "I Choose You", but it was the second time they'd done it. Yeah, complaining about this song... I don't get it either. If absolutely every rap single released in May of '07 used the same loop of "I Choose You" I don't think I'd complain. Well, ok, I might once the Def Jux people got their hands on it... but who are we kidding, for that to happen they'd have to listen to black music.

So maybe it is lazy to use the same sample, but the fact is that when life's been difficult we aren't always lucky enough to be handed a UGK and OutKast song that's produced by Three-6 Mafia and sampling Willie Hutch. This is what makes life good.

(Dunno if it's fuckin' with Pat's version tho.)

1 comment:

Peter said...

I think the point that should be made in favor of this song, is that the sample is just too good. It's not like whatever producer who first put two and two together and sampled the 'Funky Drummer' break or the drums off 'Apache' was like, "naw...just this once."