Sunday, May 6, 2007

All Night, I Think Of You

In the bigger version of this picture you can see Simon, Noah, and what I think is the right eye of your elusive author.

Due to internet issues my own output on this wonderful space will be a bit limited for awhile, but I'mma do my best.

Anyway, the following is a public service announcement:

If you live in NYC, and you're over 21 (sorry, my fellow Better Than Butt Sex-ers) you need to go to The Rub. No, seriously, you do. The first Saturday of every month, at Southpaw in Brooklyn, is the best party I've experienced in the five boroughs. And that's coming from a man who's been to some crazy shindigs in Brooklyn warehouses with shit like torch juggling, stilt-walkers, illicit substances, and people fucking underneath paper-mache demon heads.

The Rub is, technically, just a club night. DJs, drinks, music, dancing, but it's just the best damn thing ever, and I make it a point to go every month. Let me put it this way, when I walked in last month they were playing X-Clan's "Funkin' Lesson" and people were real into it. During a dancehall set later on they teased us with the first few bars of Sister Nancy's "Bam Bam" about five times before finally playing that shit and driving everyone nuts. Last night there was "Ante Up", "P.S.K. What Does It Mean?", "White Gurl", "Soul Clap", and motherfuckin' "My Boo"!! That's just the smallest sampling of what I can remember off the top of my head, and not even getting into funk and 80's shit that they played. They also aren't too elitist to mix in some of the big current club hits either. Also last night, Stretch Armstrong came through, and yes the man crowd-surfing in the above picture is in a banana costume.

What's really great though is that it always attracts an eclectic crowd that can really appreciate the varied musical selection... plus the girls are fine as hell. Up on the official website there's also a bunch of mp3s and a link to The Rub radio, which I haven't listened to yet, but I'm sure it's some fuckin' quality. So if you can, whoever you are, you should come through. Always. How can this not look like a good time?

No comments: